Monday, March 26, 2012

Week 13: Enjoy the little things

Alright, I will admit, this week's resolution is a little bit of a joke. I need a resolution and am running out of things that would actually be possible for this week. It is the whole "do not set yourself up for failure" kind of thing. This week is spring break and it is jam packed with stuff. Not really, but it feels that way. I worked Sunday after cleaning my room and doing laundry. Then, we had a game night with my sister and her bf. Today began with waking up and getting a few things accomplished then quickly packing clothes up for the first trip this week. My bf and I are going to see his grandma in the hospital and then going on to his parent's house for the next two nights. When I get back it will be straight to work for two nights and then off to Illinois where I will be continuing on to Chicago for the weekend!

But, on my way to my bf's apartment today I decided to ride my bike. My bike is a curious thing. Earlier in the fall my bf and I decided we wanted to go for a bike ride. Neither of us owning a bike began a search for bikes. Craigslist had some for more than we were looking for, so did the local online classifieds. Then, we heard about a thrift store in a near by town which typically have some bikes that just need some fixing. So we both found bikes there. He got a red mountain bike which needed new tires and some oil on the chain. Mine on the other hand is  a thing of beauty! It is a faded lime green Murrary 10 speed road bike with half the handle bars green and the other half yellow! It needed new tires, new brakes (complete with cables and handles) and some new gear cables. I decided a $10 bike was worth it.

Well, after spending $30 on new tires and tubes I used a free Amazon gift card that I got from MyPoints and bought a new set of brakes. They are "BMX" brakes, but I put them on anyway and put the handles up on top of the ram's horn kind of handle bars. I do not have new handle bar tape yet so the old brake handles are still on there for now too. Today I rode it for the first time! The bike stayed together and the brakes work! But, next I need to work on the new gear shift cables... I need more than the one gear it is stuck in now.

And, a quick soapbox moment... When exactly do we decide it is ok to feed our kids junk? Baby food is bought because it is few ingredients. Gerber did a whole campaign on tracking where the veggies come from in each jar. They make special baby snacks that are healthier and have less preservatives in them. Parents do not (or should not anyway) allow babies and toddlers to have soda, especially with caffeine. So, when do we decide it is ok to stop all the healthy eating and start feeding them pizza, McDonald's, candy, drink soda, drink coffee, etc? Not saying you let kids drink coffee, but when did you decide that much caffeine was ok for yourself?
This came about when I was babysitting on time and they have a toddler they feed the Gerber meals too because they are easy, quick, and balanced. I understand, it makes sense. But when does the change happen to when it is ok to just eat junk food and not cook or fix meals that are balanced for yourself and the rest of your family? When do you say "OK, enough healthy for you!"?

Alright, off to get more stuff done.

No comments:

Post a Comment