Wednesday, March 14, 2012

SPRING FEVER!!!

I have officially been given a case of spring fever. I think I got it from work to be honest, but this weather lately has let the fever really settle in. I planted some seeds indoors the other day and they are now beginning to sprout. I am SO excited to have stuff in the garden for the summer. But, with my plans for a garden also comes a plan for my compost bin. My sis gave me the ok and so now I am in the design phase. 


The compost bin has a place to go in the yard already so I have somewhat of a size limit. I would also like it to be decently portable meaning not five hundred pounds. We have racoons in the neighborhood so it must have a lid to try and deter them and it must have "closed" sides to keep the ogs from tearing through it. So, a simple wooden frame with 3/4" mesh I think will do with a lid. I also want tto get a kitchen counter compost bucket to keep at my boyfriend's house but he told me I had to get permission from the friend that will soon be taking his roomie's place. Tonight, I asked his roomie. Before I talk about his answer I must add in that it is St. Pat's week and so the drinking in this town began last Wednesday so we were at a bar and neither of us had really been drinking, but it is not the place to strike up serious conversations. He said as long as it did not smell he would be ok with it. My plan is to empty it regularly into the other one anyway. He also told me that he probably would not use it. Now, I am sure I will convince him to try to use it sometimes. Plus, it will sit next to the trash can so it will just be a choice between the trash or the compost bin. He then asked if I was one of those environment freaks. Now, I understand some are more radical than others, but I feel I am no where near radical and honestly I would be stoned for trying to say I was! I am just doing small things that help me and the environment at the same time. Plastic bags? Who really, honestly needs a billion bags around their house? If I am growing a garden, a compost pile is free fertilizer! I just love my fruits and veggies. 


I also had a phone call while I was at work this evening about a job interview. So, I'll call back tomorrow and see what that brings but I may not even be here to bother him about this next school year. And, I know he and I will get along since we both enjoy cooking for others and enjoy a good dinner gathering. Also, as much as it may seem opposite, I too enjoy a clean house. So, I am sure him living with the boyfriend will be a fun time. :)


ps. I apologize for any errors in my spelling or grammar. I typed this without my contacts in and have I mentioned I am blind?

No comments:

Post a Comment