Friday, March 9, 2012

Preparing for St. Pat's

Alright so I am preparing for St. Pat's and am going in new directions. I have never really been one to get into celebrating St. Patrick's Day so this year is really weird for me. I used to work at a greeting card store and so I collected earrings for every holiday to wear at the store. A lot of people thought it was cute and my co-workers even enjoyed seeing my different earrings. Now, I work at a job which any earrings must be studs, smaller than a dime, and flat to the ear. Umm... none of my earrings that I have worn in the last 3 years fall under that category. Yes, I can wear all my fancy earrings when I sub, but that is not when I see all the people and deal with customers anymore. So, in keeping with the unnaturally cheerful "at work" me I came up with hair bows. I can do hair bows for every occasion!

I consider myself crafty and creative. This should be easy! Yeah... nope. I bought some green 1/8" silky ribbon, some 1/4" silver metallic ribbon, and some 3/8" green gross grain ribbon. Along with that some cute alligator hair clips, some green buttons with glitter in them, and a shiny rhinestone button to work into the ribbons.  Now... I cannot figure out cute bows that I want to make! And the ones I want are not working out for me. Here's a list of links that I have been looking at:

This one is cute, but I am having trouble getting my glue to work. I bought clear Tacky Glue and it apparently is not meant for fabric? So tomorrow I may have to dig out the ol' glue gun and try not to burn myself. I did stitch together the shamrock part only to have the ends drive me insane! I now see why she said they can be glued down. 
http://www.theribbonretreat.com/blog/shamrock-ribbon-sculpture.html

A pretty shamrock! I could do this, but after the fail with the Tacky Glue I figured I would wait to try it until I had the hot glue gun out. I am also worried about how big it will be on my head?
http://www.oursevendwarfs.com/2011/03/shamrock-clippies-tutorial.html

I tried this with the gross grain ribbon a little bit and I think it would look cute on a clip too. Possibly attach a button to one end somewhere? Hot glue will be needed to attach anything to these clips though...
http://www.skiptomylou.org/2010/08/19/headband-refashion/

If only I could stand to use this kind of barrette!
http://imamomnotaprofessional.blogspot.com/2011/01/throwback-barrettes.html

I was thinking of using some left over fabric from my boyfriend's surprise for the world for St. Pat's to make me one of these. Feathers may add a nice touch but I did not get any of them. Maybe a bow with the button?
http://wendyinflorida.blogspot.com/2010/03/shabby-shamrocks.html

Here is just some cute ideas for St. Pat's decor. The Rosettes got me to thinking about doing them with fabric and a button instead of paper and putting it on a clip.
http://jamiebrock.hubpages.com/hub/St-Patricks-Day-Craft-Tutorials-and-DIY-Home-Decor-Round-Up

And the paper roses I have always been intrigued about. Maybe not for this holiday, but Easter or just Spring would be cool to make a barrette out of them.
http://yarner.blogspot.com/2011/01/rose-wreath-tutorial.html

I made one of these out of the metalic ribbon and a small button instead of a rhinestone. A picture will follow.


And, in the process of trying to find bows I like and want to make, I discovered some hair style video tutorials. I tried this one, and am ok with the result. (Picture to follow)

I added a flower in the middle to hide some of the flaws after taking pictures. I think it would look better and more like it should when my hair grows out. It has to be the easiest braid I have done in my life yet!

Otherwise, I undid that hair style when I got home from a trip to the store and dinner with a friend to do this with my hair. I will have to try and take pictures tomorrow to post. So far I think my headband is too tight and is giving me a headache. i already have naturally curly hair so I am sure my curls will be extreme.


And I have to say, this lady has a lot of awesome tutorial videos for hair styles. I originally found her clover ponytail one which led me to the others. Some are a little young for me, but others are cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment