Monday, March 19, 2012

This week...

It is already Monday and I do not have a resolution for this week. :( I am also not sure what I am going to be able to do besides sleep... a lot.

I am officially sick. I have all the same symptoms and problems I get every time I fall behind on sleep. I think my vitamins were helping to hold it off as long as they could, but after a week of substituting, and 4 days of being up late due to others partying and then hanging out with friends, I have fallen ill. I figured out in my second year of college why I would get horribly sick with the same thing every so often. I would get hit with this every year in the winter and then typically again in the spring. Everyone thought this is how my body was reacting to whatever was going around at the time. The only problem is I realized a pattern to every time. First my ears bother me, then my throat hurts, then my sinuses fill completely, then they drain, then my chest is filled from the draining, then I hack it up and I am over it. Same thing every time. My mom took me in to the doctor a few times for it finally and they thought I had mono. After all, according to the Mayo Clinic's website, I have  7 out of 11 symptoms and if I ever got fevers in my life I would probably have 8. I would get a blood test done and they would come back with no signs of mono, just some virus that is passing through.

After being horribly sick a few times in college with the same thing I began to realize it came after having a lack of sleep. The sooner I forced myself to sleep a lot, the faster the sickness would pass. Then, I tried to just sleep and could actually hold it off all together. If I sleep my needed 8-9 hours a night on a regular basis I am just fine and really do not get anything that is being passed around even. But, a couple nights of less than 8-9 hours and I am sick with what I have now.

Let me just say this has been a source of a lot of frustration and sadness. What college kid cannot go out with friends every weekend because they get sick if they do? Who in college does not want to pull an all-nighter for something at some time but cannot because they know if they do, they will miss a few days of classes to sleep off the sickness that comes later. I always, and still now, have to be the party pooper who goes to bed instead of staying up with everyone. It frustrates me to no end! This is why I want to have the food sensitivity test done. I want to know if there is something I am eating that causes me to need this much sleep. Is there something I can do to be able to do 4 nights of 5 hours of sleep and not feel like my head is being crushed and my throat is peeling off?

No comments:

Post a Comment