Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Spending Fasts Make Me Giggle

A friend of a friend is currently doing a spending fast. I admire her for this and she is doing a GREAT job. Following her success has made me feel glad for her and then gets me thinking about doing a spending fast myself! Then I giggle to myself...

I have more student debt than I would like. I have a mortgage now (still WAY better than rent) and prior to my summer job pay coming in, I had credit card debt. A few years ago I began doing research on how to start paying off debt. The inspiration was the couple I was renting from who had purchased a duplex, rented the half they didn't live in, paid the whole thing off, and then purchased another house in town to move to. Great inspiration!

Many of the blogs, articles, etc. that I found had great suggestions! Obviously, stop unnecessary spending. Determine your wants vs. needs. Pay off the smallest bill and go from there snowballing your debt. Make more money. Coupon. Only buy things on sale or used.

These all sound great except for one thing... I'm a teacher and I already don't spend unnecessarily, already coupon (at times, now I don't eat/use many things that coupons come for), already question everything I purchase as to if it is a real need or not, and forgo spending on most things because I don't have the money.

For example, things the friend has determined as wants:
Eating Out- I only eat out when others ask which is generally once every other month during school and rare between. Eating out for me is difficult because of dietary restrictions so it is easier just to cook.
Books- I used to be bad about buying books but then I got tired of moving boxes of books. Most of my books are still text books. Then I discovered ebooks on my iPad from the library. Also, when I do buy a book it is generally either a discount book or a used book from Amazon.
Clothes- Really? The last clothes I purchased was because I literally couldn't fit any pants.
Bags- I was a Thirty-One consultant for awhile but most of my purchases were from hostess rewards for parties I hosted for myself
Music- Yeah... nope. I listen to Pandora (with the ads) or the radio.
Target- I dislike shopping and am boycotting Walmart but I still don't venture to Target often. Most of the time I only buy the items I went in for and can easily carry them.
Amazon- Generally my go to when I find something I think I need and look for a better price. Most of the time I end up putting it on my wish list and never actually buying it.
Apps- People actually pay for apps?!
Coffee- Not an issue for me as I DISLIKE coffee. I do stop at Starbucks once in awhile but only use all the gift cards from students I receive. (Seriously our band teacher made out with about $200 at Christmas in Starbucks.)
Family activities that cost money- With the lack of family it is helpful but I prefer to go hiking outside (free) if it is nice or have plenty of projects around the house to keep me occupied. I did purchase a museum membership this year but it has already paid for itself and I used my teacher ID to get a discount on it!
Makeup- Oh, am I supposed to be buying makeup?

I honestly don't know where else I could be saving money. Yesterday I FINALLY bought a rug for my living room. I went to 3 stores, check 3 websites, and finally settled on one. Originally I was going to purchase one that was less than $20 but wasn't in love with until I found the one I do like. I splurged and spent the $40 on the rug. I know, I know, I know... $40 rug?! Yep, I stressed about spending $40 on a rug that would have normally cost $90 or more. I have tried money making opportunities on the side and haven't made a huge amount. I avoid buying clothes even though I have none that fit because I plan on shrinking back into the ones I have. And the ones I have are so worn they need to be replaced!

I have seriously survived on $120 for a month (after all the bills have been paid) more than once. That means $30 a week for food and no extra things. And I don't spend much more than that in a normal month! So, when I think of doing a spending fast I giggle. I'm not sure there is any other places I could "fast" in my spending.

No comments:

Post a Comment