Saturday, August 13, 2016

Living in a Fantasy

Have you ever watched a TV show and wished you could live in that show? I feel like a lot of people have, and maybe I have too for a short period of time, but I'm too much of a realist to actually dream about living in a show.

I've been on Netflix and watching Gilmore Girls from the beginning. Watching shows on a consistent basis (pre Netflix/Hulu era) has never been a strong point of mine. Gilmore Girls has been a show that I like and wanted to watch more of but I was busy so the story was choppy and just wasn't one I religiously watched. Again, I don't think I've ever religiously watched a show except the one season of the reality show Joe Millionaire, don't judge. Enjoying Gilmore Girls wasn't something I really told people either. There was always a friend who liked the show more and I felt like I wasn't allowed to claim I liked it because I wasn't a die hard fan of it like others were. I have yet to have a show that I'm a true "die-hard fan" over.

I digress. As I was binge watching some episodes this evening I found myself getting excited for fall and brisk weather and the need to wear jackets. Fall isn't even my favorite season! Winter is my fave but that is because of snow and maybe later I will explain my connection with snow. I also started to envy the relationship between Lorelai and Rory because I definitely do not have that with my mom, not at all. There is someone I know who has a similar connection with her mom but when her mom doesn't want to spend every free moment with her, she gets upset. I've realized Lorelai has a weird need for her daughter's time...

Does watching shows where we connect so well with the characters set up unrealistic expectations for us? For some I think it does. When it comes down to it though, I'd rather have my life. There isn't a show I have seen that fits me as well as my life fits me. Are there ups and downs? Yes. Are there things that I would go back and change because I made dumb choices? Yeah. Where I am today though and where my life seems to be going is what I want and couldn't imagine anything better.

It also goes back to unrealistic expectations. You know that outfit you plan out in your head and see yourself perfectly in? Then you put it on and look in the mirror and it ain't so pretty?  I'm most disappointed because of the unrealistic vision I had for myself when that happens. I don't look like that in my mind. I don't FEEL like that. I don't feel like I have any love handles or muffin top until I put on clothes and actually look at myself. (I don't really have them without clothes on... dumb waist bands)

Maybe we don't actually look at ourself enough? I think I have been taught subconsciously to ignore myself in the mirror. Look only when needed and no more. When I started running years ago I felt amazing and loved looking at myself in the mirror. Plus we had a huge bathroom and a decent sized mirror so I could admire my body and all the pros of running at the time. I grew away from that again. I'm getting better though where I like checking myself out in the mirror naked. Not in a weird, sexual way.... but I think I look good.

I read a book that said you should stand naked in front of a mirror everyday and instead of focusing on your flaws, compliment yourself on the things you like about yourself. Friday at the training in the morning they brought up how taboo it is to tell others about the things you like about yourself. Complaining about what we want to fix is acceptable but sharing what you love is considered conceited. My first thought when they said to think about 3 things you love about yourself? My calves. I have come to love my calves. My bf probably gets annoyed by how much I flex them just to show him the definition. I even texted him a picture from just above the knees down the other night because my legs just looked good! Other things I love about myself is my brain and all the knowledge I have in there, my independence and the things I have not been afraid to do because of it, and my strength that has gotten me through a lot. The last two could be tied together but I think they are separate... one gets me into situations and the other gets me through those situations.

So I ask you, "What are three things (or more) that you TRUELY love about yourself?"
What are the things you are afraid to shout to the world about you because you're afraid of being seen as bragging?

Also, I know you're reading my blog. I see that the count has people on here everyday and my foreign country count is decreasing... don't be afraid to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment