Sunday, January 8, 2012

Week 2, Resolution 2: No more plastic bags

So today it begins. No more plastic bags. No more shopping bags, no more produce bags (like the ones you get when you buy apples and such), no more bags.

The no sugar thing has been going alright. I went to a wedding this past weekend and avoided the chocolates they had sitting out on the tables. It was challenging to watch and hear about everyone else eating them, but I did it! And, we left as they were handing out cake so I did not even have to deal with watching people eat cake. I am not even a huge fan of cake, but still, it was a wedding and everyone eats cake!

While eating out at dinner tonight, I thought of another resolution to add to the list. No more take out containers. I'm not saying no food deliveries because I would classify that as fast food and that may come later. But when you go out to eat and you have left overs they bring you a container, typically Styrofoam. Everyone knows that Styrofoam is horrible for the environment and everything so I should not have to say anything about why this one makes sense. I am also including my to-go cups that I sometimes ask for when I leave a restaurant. Instead I am going to have to start carrying a glad container and my re-usable cup with me if I want to bring something home with me. I guess I should also work on using straws. I may make that another resolution, no more plastic straws. 

I also told some people about what I am doing with the 52 new years resolutions. They thought it was crazy at first, but then I explained my idea about how if I make small changes throughout the year it would be easier than just making a few big ones at the beginning. Then it made more sense. and, they're things that people should be doing, or things I should be doing in general, just now I have a reason to have to stick to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment