Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Week 1 Towards a New Me

Week one was rough. I won't lie. It wasn't the best week to kick my workout routine into high gear, but no week would be a good week either. We started the state standardized tests which means we switch to 2 hour block schedules. Switching my routine doesn't go well. Switching 135 teen agers' schedules doesn't go well. The kids go stir crazy during this time! AND... We get to do this for three and a half weeks. Joy!

So the kids are regressing to elementary mind sets and I decide to go work out like a beast. Monday I went to the 5:00 pm class and it kicked my butt. We did snatches which I was told is the hardest move in Crossfit. (I have since been told this about a few moves lol) I went back Wednesday morning at 5:30 and got my butt kicked! 

Now, let me put this into perspective... I'm so weak in my upper body that I literally face planted my first push up. And that was a "girl style" push-up on my knees... My second workout involved pull ups. 

One thing that makes me feel great about Crossfit is the fact that they can scale it to any ability level! I did those pull ups. I did ALL the pull ups! I just did them jumping on a stack of weights. Before you start thinking about how easy that is you should know that you start from a hanging position with your arms, drive up with your legs and share the burden with your arms to get your chin above the bar. And no, I couldn't stand with my chin above the bar to start. On my second round a lady told me to drive more with my legs to help my arms more and my response was, "I CAN'T FEEL MY LEGS!" They were so sore and I was pushing them even more, but I know it is what I need. I went back Friday morning. 

By Friday I was tired. I was tired of feeling sore. I was tired of dreading steps. I was tired of kicking my own ass only to gain weight. I was tired of the kids who decided they didn't have to act like they were at school anymore. I was tired of every pair of dress pants NOT buttoning. I was tired of trying to figure out outfits with elastic waist bands so they would fit. (Seriously, I wore a skirt and a dress last week so I didn't have to wear real pants) I was tired of putting effort in to everything and just feeling like it was pointless. Needless to say I was put in timeout after school and took a nap. 

I read a few things that said you'll gain weight at the beginning. You're building muscle. You're retaining water and inflammation with the soreness. It will go away. You'll reach a point where you have so much muscle you start burning fat like crazy. But when the scale reads 182 and 183 you start to panic. (180 is my dreaded weight) 

On top of that I am excited that I have broken out of my comfort zone and started something new. But at the same time it is so tough! Friday began with me wanting to cry at the gym and that was only at the beginning of the warm up! Seriously, it hurts when you're sore. On the other hand though I don't want to become another person who only talks about Crossfit. So I decided to start up the ol blog. Here you don't have to read it if you don't want to hear it. 

So I trudged on and made it to the gym on Monday again. Since Friday I have been dragging another lady who went to the beginning classes with me. It helps us both be accountable. I left feeling great! The weekend helped the soreness and the workout was difficult but didn't leave me as sore as the rest. I felt better about myself and felt on the path to success. I had also begun to take body measurements so this morning I woke up and did those to find out that I was in fact seeing a change for the better. Is it huge? No. It has only been a week!!! But it is change in the right direction. I will work on updating the body measurement page in the next few days,

I just have to be better than yesterday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment