Thursday, April 21, 2016

The day after...

So, Tuesday was one of those days and I wrote a whole post about it. I woke up Wednesday determined to go to Crossfit, push myself, and do something about the fact that nothing seemed ok on Tuesday. Thank goodness it was a mobility day!!! So thankful! And I looked at the workout and saw kettle bell swings and box jumps. Not bad! It was a lot of swings but I got em! 

Then came time to set up for the workout... Get your kettle bell, a back support if you like, and your box. Wait, what? What's the support thing for? The sit ups. I whipped my head towards the board and sure enough... Sit ups. 

Now i have known for a long while that sit ups hurt me. Seriously hurt. I can do maybe 10 before curling into the fetal position and crying. It isn't a lasting pain but one that hurts like none other in the moment. And it is in my back, not even my abs. It happens with sit-ups, crunches, leg lifts, and most other ab exercises I have seen. 

So I ask about it and I use a fancy back helper thing with the tailbone support thing to try some out. It just might work. So on to the two round workout! 60 kettle bell swings, 40 sit ups, and 20 box jumps. Yeah... I'm supposed to do 80 total sit ups! But, I'm pushing myself and thinking of the awesome 6 pack I can gain from this... We got this. We shall overcome. 

After the coach took my light kettle bell to give to someone who needed it because he had faith in me that I could do the next one up (I was already thinking I would probably switch for the second round) we began. 60 kettle bell swings. I made it to the 40's before I had to pause! Sit-ups. I pushed and pushed. I paused a lot after 15. By 30 I was dying. By 37 I was breaking between everyone and he came over to encourage me and I flat out told him it hurts! It hurts bad! But I was going to finish the last few. And I did. The box jumps I did on a stack of weights instead and then went back to struggle with my second set of swings. Really struggled. And back to sit-ups. Oh my there was pain. And I was pushing through. 5. 7. 12. 13. 14. Dear Lord, please let me survive, 15. And it took all I had to make 16, 17, and 18. He came back. I had the girl to my right pushing me on. And on 19 all I could say was "I'm only getting 20 out this round." And that was ok. I worked through the pain for 20. 

When I finally sat down after box jumps it began to sink in. The pain. The fact that I just kicked my ass. The muscle exhaustion. All of it. I started to hyperventilate! It took all I had to not freak out right then. So I calmed my breathing. I pushed back the tears. I put my stuff away and I was out. I dropped my workout partner off at home and began to cry. 

Not only from everything that I just went through, but also because I accomplished something major (60 sit-ups!) and the fact that I couldn't do the whole workout. Nothing feels worse after a day like Tuesday than not being able to finish a workout. It sucked! And then I saw my shrugging muscles in the mirror and that helped. But I did allow myself a good cry first. 

The rest of the day was just bogus and same with today. So tonight I planted my garden! I'm happy! I also scheduled on my calendar when all should be ready to harvest. Including the whole packet of carrots I dumped in the square planted with spinach. Oops. 😳

Still, I did SIXTY sit-ups! And today I stayed calm in a crappy, stressful situation. I rocked life better than yesterday for sure. Ready for a new day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment