Saturday, February 18, 2012

Week 8: Remove Contacts

First of all, This has to be the best trash can idea ever! I think it is an amazing idea!!!! I have grown up using a "full sized" trash can in the kitchen, meaning a 12 or 13 gallon one, but have always used plastic bags like these for the bathroom trash and for other trashes around the house. A dilemma would probably arise though, with not using any more plastic bags, I would eventually run out of bags to put in it. Then what would I do? Eventually I will run out of bags anyway and am not sure what I will do when that day comes. I do not like using just the trash can in the bathroom and emptying it into the bigger one because then the trash can gets dirty and stuff sticks to it and it is just kind of gross. Any ideas???

As far as Week 8 goes, I am adding to my list of resolutions that I must religiously remove my contacts nightly. As most of these resolutions are, it is something I should be doing anyway. So tomorrow I plan on going to Wal-Mart, stocking up on my fancy contact solution (which comes with a new case) and I still have regular solution to rise with which means I shall be stocked to do this resolution.

As far as other resolutions go, I tried 2 new recipes this week; empanadas were awesome, the mac and cheese recipe was not so much.
I worked out 3 times! I re-used a Wal-Mart bag at Kroger's for my apples. The cashier looked at me a little funny but thought it was a neat idea for re-using bags. I told her I did not like using all the plastic bags and such and she understood. She could still see through it and such so it was not a problem.
I have decreased the amount I order at restaurants decreasing the need for a take-out container and decreasing my portion size. I am proud of my portion control lately.
Body measurements will likely come tomorrow, but the trend of my daily weigh-in has been a downward one!

I also began my new job today! I went in for about 5 hours of orientation and paperwork. I am excited and will be signing up for my health, dental, and vision insurance within the week and it kicks in the day I submit all the paperwork! This means I will be going in for my annual check up, possibly a dermatologist, a dental appointment, and my eye appointment over the next few months. I am pumped!!! Lately I have been worried about how I was going to cover the expensive annual exam, now I know how. And the dermatologist would be nice to make sure some of these moles/spots I am growing are not cancer. People think I am nuts some times, but I know of at least 5 moles that I did not have a year ago, about 8 that I did not have 5 years ago. I know they may not all be cancer, but the big one I worry about is the one on my buttock. It showed up about 4 years ago and has slowly grown over the years. It is not huge or anything, but sometimes when I walk and stuff my pants rub on it because it is right where they fold when walking. Having it removed would be fine with me!

And although I am pretty blind without contacts, my eyes have been improving and I have been forking out the money for eye exams yearly without insurance. I had health insurance through college, but not vision. When you need a new prescription to continue buying contacts to see, you kind of fork out the money. As a part-time employee I am excited because they will cover a lot of a new set of frames/lenses!!! Although last time I looked at new frames I ended up picking out the same ones I already had without knowing it so I just replaced the lenses.

And the dentist... I think I was in high school the last time I went to see one. I know that in my first year of college (06-07 year) I had my wisdom teeth removed because they were pushing my bottom, front teeth together too much. Let me assure you, they spread out some after the wisdom teeth were gone, I felt it... But, I have not been back since because of the lack of money on my part and the lack of interest on my parent's part, otherwise they would have covered it. I figure it has been about 5 years, I should go back and get new x-rays and stuff done.

Growing up my parents were the "only if you really have to" kind of people when it came to medical stuff. I do not completely understand it since my dad was military until I was about 4 or 5. Around the age of 3 or so my mom thought I had lime disease from a tick and I went in for blood draws constantly. They never found anything and Mom finally discovered it was not going away because I secretly scratched it. Besides that and the time I could not sit up without puking for a week, I never went to the doctor. I went to the dentist maybe twice until around middle school when I went a few times and then once or so in high school, and of course the wisdom teeth thing by the oral surgeon. Otherwise, no dentist visits either. The eye doctor I kind of forced my mom to take me to when I was in 2nd grade. I could not read the big clock from across the room. She realized there was a problem and turned out all three of us girls needed glasses. We then went about every other year until we started wearing contacts.

When I have kids I want to be able to have the money and such to make sure my kids get annual check ups by the doctor, dentist, and eye doctor. My sis I live with has yet to take her kid to the dentist or eye doctor, but the school does vision checks and he is fine on those. The dentist part she is waiting on a little longer. I once asked her why and saw very valid reasoning in her choice; it took until he was about 3 or so before he would not scream and cry when he saw someone in scrubs. Nurses in wal-mart included. The kid has had a rough life when it comes to doctors so she figured she would wait until school has the "dentist day" kind of thing where they get the kids all excited about going to the dentist, or until he starts losing teeth. And although he hates it, he goes in approximately every 6 months to Children's to get a general check-up and blood draws done for allergy tests. Yes, she helps two other nurses hold him down for these because she figures she would rather him be upset for holding him down to do the blood draws and such than for him to remember her abandoning him during his time of need. I had never thought of it that way before...

No comments:

Post a Comment