Thursday, February 16, 2012

This week's recipe!

So I came home after a long day of substituting and debated what to make for dinner. I have my nephew while my sis is at class tonight for a make up class and so I was in charge of cooking. After drinking a fruit smoothie for breakfast, having an apple for snack, and a bowl of soup with a side of blackberries for lunch I was craving something substantial. With a pound of ground beef thawed in the fridge I began to think and... Empanadas it was! I just googled a recipe and found that one. After beginning I realized my sis does not have a grater thing so I just diced the potatoes after microwaving them for about 3 minutes. Added that to the meat and about an eighth cup of water to make sure the potatoes would cook the rest of the way ok. I also only rolled the dough out to about 1/4" thick, used a bowl to cut out circles and then rolled them out a little thinner, one at a time. I ended up with about 10 I think. I also debated on adding corn to the filling because I did not know if it would be enough filling, but the potatoes added a lot. Not sure on how they taste yet, they are baking in the oven right now, but I must go save the boyfriend from having to play with my nephew. He likes it some of the time, but I am not sure how OK with it he really is right now; I am sure he would not mind being pulled away.

Emapanadas were not bad at all! The pastry makes me drool just thinking about it... I think this will be my new pie crust recipe from now on too. It was so light and flaky. They are a dry kind of dish and would be better with a sauce of some sort to dip them in but I would be afraid to put any sauces inside. A sauce inside would probably make them soggy and not that great. 

No comments:

Post a Comment