Thursday, July 28, 2016

Wear a Bikini

So it has been on my mind a lot since in the last week I have seen and heard a lot about how women shouldn't be afraid to wear a swim suit but rather go out and enjoy their time with their kids. Or how they don't have the body for a two piece anymore so are down to wearing a one piece. Why?

I'm not skinny. I don't have what most would draw as a "bikini body." I wear two pieces. I don't even own a tankini anymore. Who is it exactly that gets to tell me I can't or shouldn't? Who has that power over me? I am an adult. I can wear mismatch clothes or ugly outfits if I want to. So who says what I don't get to wear?

There are dress codes yes. I follow them. I wouldn't go on a field trip with students in a two-piece. I don't even want to get in the water in anything less than shorts and a tshirt with students on trips. But when I'm an adult and at the pool or lake or river on my own I can wear what I want. So who tells you that you don't have the body?

Now I know there are hateful people out there. I know people will say and do things that will make you feel bad about yourself. My own family has been the ones to say things about my weight. Even this summer my mom told me that maybe I should lose some weight. But they don't get to control me. These hateful people in the world don't get to tell me what I can and cannot do. When I was in elementary school I was bullied. I delt with a lot of crap and in a small class it was difficult to get away from them. My parents and teachers taught me to not let it bother me. Turn the other cheek. They will stop if you don't let them know it gets to you. The bullies win if you change who you are because of them. This is what we teach children. Yes we also teach them that they shouldn't be mean and how to stand up to bullies. I'm a teacher. I teach both sides.

Again I ask, who has the power to tell you what you can and cannot wear?

The answer in my mind: You. That's it. Nobody else. (Dress codes aside as those do have a place in the world) I have found in all of my years that it isn't what you wear that matters but instead how you wear it. Whatever you choose to put on, strut it with confidence. Own it. I have seen some BAD outfits look really good just because of how the one wearing it holds herself.

So, wear a bikini. Wear a two piece. Wear a short skirt (but not too short cause then you might as well be wearing a swim suit) All that I ask is wear it with confidence for YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment