Thursday, July 21, 2016

Joys of Homeownership

Well, first let me just say my goal of getting to Crossfit three times this week has been foiled! Wednesday they wouldn't let me be a baby and so my butt hurts!!!! Like literally... my glutes hurt. BF, friend, and I also have a 5k on Saturday so I feel like the ability to at least walk is probably important for that. So, I will be sleeping in tomorrow and then attempting to run the whole 5k. We shall see what happens but I did surprise myself last time!!!

Today was the day we all presented our learnings and take aways from the summer program I am doing. Tomorrow we are taking a field trip to a power station and then next Monday through Wednesday we are taking another trip to the West Slope of Colorado to explore out there some. I'm excited! And then I'm officially done with the summer program. Already have been paid. Already spent most of the money. Already looking forward to more summer. But first, I plan on spending a few days with the bf before he leaves for the weekend and I get to come clean my house! It really needs it. Napping every evening is NOT conducive to getting housework completed.

And then comes the joy of homeownership... The dishwasher stopped draining. This happened the other day and I didn't have time to mess with it. So, tonight I decided to put the dishes away and figure it out. Well, all the dishes are still damp from sitting in the dishwasher with water in the bottom. Google showed me how to remove the racks and so they are now on the counter full of clean dishes. Then, according to Google and YouTube I was able to begin taking apart the bottom spraying parts to clean the filters. I found there was a chunk of something and a wrapper down around the drain part, but needed to take out 6-8 screws to continue. I decided to see if it would drain. No luck.

Perhaps it was the float switch? I wiggled it a few times and it sounded ok. Some gunk came out of it though so I tried to get it to drain again... no luck. Wiggle some more and more google. Eventually the float switch finally popped off! It was kind of gross. So I cleaned it. Replaced it on there. More wiggling. Try to drain again. The water level decreased a little but not all the way.

So, off came the 6-8 screws along with more parts and then I couldn't get any other parts off again. No luck getting to the filter screens. Google said if it wasn't the screens then perhaps the air gap. Nope, don't have an air gap per say... it goes into it's own drain pipe with a trap at the bottom before flowing into the pipe the sink drains also go into. So I put everything back together in the dishwasher and decide to check the drain hose for clogs. I get the hose out of the pipe after a bit of a challenge due to the lack of space and the end of it is GROSS! But no clogs. So, I plug the hose to the disposal and run the rinse cycle. Nothing. Then I remember all the posts I've seen about people who didn't remove the plug on the disposal... silly me. Then I tried draining into a bucket and it works! Yay! So I know it sin't the dishwasher or the motor or anything like that... it is my drain. The kitchen sink drains fine and the hose drains fine so it must be in the trap between which is glued on. So for now I'm going to try to see if I can snake it to get the drain clear and if not I will have the experience of cutting out and replacing a drain trap. Yay!

In other news I went and had my ALCAT test done again today. Well, had the blood draw and dropped it off at FedEx. The Dr said 7-10 days but last time I had email results within about 3 days. I will try to wait patiently the 7-10. Perhaps I should write a post about just the ALCAT sometime next week? (I saw I had about 30 page views yesterday and got really excited I feel like I'm talking to someone now! But Russia appears to be my main audience...)

No comments:

Post a Comment