Sunday, July 10, 2016

What is your "Why"????

When you do the sales thing they always want you to talk about your "why." Why did you join this business?  Thirty-one, Tupperware, Jamberry, Norwex, etc. They all do it. The last few days some things have happened that made me wake up and remember my why. But before we get to that, some of my thoughts on what your why's should be in order to truly be successful.

There's no science behind this, just some personal thoughts. Quote me if you will, but don't take my words out of context please. (I say this like people actually read my blog... lol)

Your why for weightloss/getting fit/etc has to be for you. That's right, YOU. You have to be selfish and do it for you. By doing it for others you're setting yourself up for failure and honestly what kind of relationship do you have with that person?

Doing it for your spouse because he/she likes you a little thinner? Tell me you don't secretly resent him/her when you REALLY want that doughnut.

Doing it for your kids so they have a parent? Or are you doing it for you so that you can witness all their lives may become? See... maybe it really is about you.

Doing it to fit in that wedding dress? Really? You're doing this for A day? Not for your health or long term? Tell me how long that will last after you're done wearing it.

Doing it so you can walk up stairs without panting? (Seriously though, Colorado makes staircases like mountains!!! It doesn't matter how long you have lived here!) Doing it to fit into that favorite outfit? Doing it so you have more energy? Doing it because it puts you in a better mood? Doing it so you get outside more often? Doing it for YOU! this is what is important no matter your why.

Now on to my why as promised. So, I've mentioned the fact that 200 lbs scares me. I set that number when I was in Junior High. Is it healthy to be scared of a number? No.

You see, my family has heart problems. I don't always talk about this as a reason. I know the doctors have said that they don't think it is genetic. Ok. I should be in the clear right? Why should I worry? In 6th grade my dad began having heart problems. He has experienced the paddles to jump start your heart. More than once I think? (My parents didn't really talk in detail about it.) He has had his heart zapped by a probe sent up his groin multiple times. He has had a blood clot go through his lungs from having a sprained ankle. (That started everything.) And then after all of this he realized that his heart had been doing some weird things since he was younger he just didn't know what it was he was experiencing and it wasn't that bad.  Mom had a scare not that long ago when she had pains and then passed out... but that turned out to be bad gas pressing on a nerve.

My grandfathers have had issues. One was probably related to chemo more than anything, but the other had them my entire life. I cannot remember the number of times he had surgeries, stints, etc. I can remember at least 3 trips to see him at various times because he might not make it. Eventually they both passed away. I had a cousin pass away suddenly from a blood clot but that was completely due to chemo and being stuck in a bed for so long. After that though my grandma started having blood pressure issues. Almost two years ago she had part of her carotid artery cleaned out because it was 90% blocked! One uncle had emergency open heart surgery after shoulder pain from wrestling with my cousin. Another had some procedure done because he was having a heart attack. (I'm not sure if it was open heart or not.) Oh, and my sister had a blood clot with her second kid from getting the flu and spending a week on the couch.

Thursday I spent the day in the heat hiking and learning about rocks. (Cause that's what cool science teachers get paid to do in the summer.) I came home and passed out! I was exhausted from hiking and the heat. If I'm not careful the heat will knock me on my a$$ very quickly. I was just over that line I think.

Friday I spent the day pretty much on my feet touring different places, in and out of the heat. At multiple times I felt light headed. My legs swelled up like you wouldn't believe too so I tried to make sure I would keep moving to help push the blood back up from them. People with me probably thought I was nuts since I kept swaying and moving around, but oh well. Then I came home and napped. (I seriously learn so much that I have to nap when I get home... it is crazy!) I woke up from my nap and was just exhausted. I know I didn't drink enough and the heat from Thursday wasn't helpful. Then, while laying on the couch it started... chest pains. Google. Yeah, you can get some from heat exhaustion, that kind of thing. It was too late to see a doctor unless I went to the emergency room and I really didn't want that bill unless it was something more than a little pain. (I know, completely sounds smart... wait until you die or pass out alone before seeking help!) It didn't get worse so I went ahead and went to bed.

Saturday morning came with no pain! Yay! False alarm. I looked at the weather and with highs in the 90's I decided to get a jog in before it got too warm. So off I went for a jog (that turned into a walk after a mile) and noticed that I was getting hot again quick and my calf was tight. So back home. Went through the day without many issues. In the evening again I started getting pains. I googled everything I could think of to help put my mind at ease. Did you know how many things could cause chest pains?! OMG. They got a little worse so I debated about seeing someone. I looked up when the urgent care clinic was open on Sunday. I didn't die Friday night so if I make it through the night and still have issues in the morning I will go in. Talked to the bf about it and decided dehydration was probably the culprit. Drink more water.

Sunday, today, I woke up and had a small twinge. Nothing big. Let's go to church and see how it progresses and if it does then I will go to the clinic. While in church contemplating all that is going on in life I realized it got BAD! And then I recognized the pain. It had finally gotten bad enough to know it as heartburn. HUGE RELIEF!!!

But seriously... my why is to be healthy for me. I want to live. I want to experience life. I need to stop and take care of myself before I can really focus on helping others. (There is a bible verse about that somewhere.) I have been raised eating food that isn't so great for cholesterol. My family has issues with weight and heart and health problems. Whether it is genetic or not I'm trying to train myself to change the way I have been raised eating. I don't blame anyone, it is tasty... but it isn't healthy. I need more healthy in my life. It isn't about my weight, but weight can be a predictor of health and I know I don't need to be 200 lbs to be healthy. I know I should be at a lower weight if I'm truly going to be healthy. That's just how my body is built.

Luke 6:42 (according to google) How can you say, 'Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,' while you yourself fail to see the beam in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the beam out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment