Thursday, October 18, 2018

The Scale Lies!!!

no, really, it does. My bathroom scale is usually within half a pound or so of the one at the gym. Today (and probably yesterday too) not so much...

First, this week has been rough. Monday was chaos at school and then Tuesday I made it to the gym and just had a blah day. I also gave in and ate a lot of candy. That may have been stress eating because of stuff that happened at school. We do classroom meetings on Mondays which is part of Restorative Justice Circles or one of the other many names they are given. Only because of chaos that was Monday our kids didn’t get their meeting time and instead had to clean up our rooms they made huge messes in. This led to us being told that we have to make up the time and shouldn’t plan our days like that again to avoid this in the future. Umm... wasn’t on purpose.

Then, I also get an email forwarded from the principal so I can “see the kudos” from a parent. Only it was also sent to our instructional coach and mentions how horrible my 6th period is and the parent was wanting to know what support I was getting to help with that. I think the parent did mean it in a good way and a “she is so awesome we want to help her keep being awesome” way but when your principal attaches the one who is supposed to help struggling teachers it feels like he isn’t thinking I can do my job.

Great way to feel.

So of course I’m worked up by the blame of skipping classroom meetings and the email when my team starts talking about it and yeah, we are not fans of these meetings. I loved the idea. It is who I am. I love getting to know kids and interacting with them without curriculum. But these kids just don’t buy in and make it the most painful 25 minutes of my week! Actually, it feels like it breaks down my relationships instead of building them. I build the relationships a lot through question time as a time filler in class. We alternate and I ask kids questions and they ask me. I will answer anything they ask but cannot guarantee they will like the answer. (Some personal questions I’m really vague about.)  as a matter of fact I found out just that day that a student had spent the last 4 days in the hospital... same kid who has had some depression issues.

Meetings don’t work but nobody wants to hear it and we are in trouble for skipping them on accident. Kid makes me worry a LOT about him. And I feel like others think I can’t do my job. I ate a bit of candy. It was stress.

Wednesday I was shocked to see that I had lost another couple pounds and was down to 163. Thought that was weird for all the candy/sugar I ate... Today, Thursday, checked and weighed the same. Sweet! Till I went to the gym and weighed myself there to find I’m still at 165. That seems more like the way I feel.

Maybe I should replace the batteries that came with it 6 years ago?

No comments:

Post a Comment