Monday, April 9, 2018

Let it Begin!

Posted on public transit on a cell phone... please forgive the errors and typos.

Day 1.
Last week was prep... failed prep... Sometimes it sucks being a girl and I have to say that if you’re going to cut out sugar and deal with the cravings and side effects do NOT choose the week you start your period to begin this change. Also, avoid the week where weather ruins your field trip plans forcing you to reschedule and shuffle all your lessons for two weeks. Especially don’t choose the week where those two are combined. But now I know what I need to help me out so today is Day 1!

No processed sugar. (Except the dark chocolate chips in my trail mix snacks this week.) and workout at least 3 days a week. Ideally include walking or 30 min elliptical or something on the off days. I did the exercise thing last week with success so that seems easier this week. Even went twice in one day! Although the second time was to coach the hubby on how to do stuff.

He wanted to learn how to do some lifts so I said I would teach him a few. I always thought he was strong and although he has endurance (runs and swims distances with ease) he isn’t as strong as I thought. Plus uses the weight machines a lot so he doesn’t have all the fine muscles needed for support as much. I also thought he knew more than he does (or he just wants to learn into the way I teach it?) but oh well. I taught him hang cleans last week. Took a bit but he was getting the hang of them. (No pun intended) Then he did the workout I did in the morning and had to go down in weight (from 20’s to 15’s) and laid on the mat for a bit after. He also finished it in half the time I took! [21-15-9 burpees, dumbbell front squats, push presses) He was still sore last night.

The other day I was discussing cleans with a friend who said “I don’t really see the point of them.” That got me thinking about them and what the purpose was if you always use a weight rack. They build up your traps nicely but otherwise they don’t have a point... until this morning. On the to do list was find the one rep max for a clean and jerk and although I didn’t go for the max but more just practice (55# was tough for multiple sets) I remembered they do have a purpose!

Dude, if you do the entire clean and jerk sequence it is WAY more than just lifting is going to get you.  First, the WHOLE clean itself, including the squat, works practically EVERY muscle in your body. In ONE move! I think to work the same muscles I’d have to do some rows, deadlifts, AND squats. Do you know how long that takes?! I don’t have that kind of time and prefer to be efficient in the time I do have. Then to add a jerk part too? Yeah, I think I’ll stick with cleans when they are called for.

Also, speaking of efficiency... was reading up on HIIT workouts and how you get so much more out of them because you max your system out almost immediately. I have to say that breaking a sweat enough to need a towel while you’re just lifting seems weird when everyone around you looks perfectly dry. And... when I’m laying on my mat after my 10 min workout and it is gross with sweat, I think about how every time something gets hard for those around me they stop and take a rest. THAT used to be me. That is what wasn’t working for me. Maybe it works for them, that’s cool, but for me, I have to kick my own butt and sweat like a pig till I can’t move to get results. Or at least results in a time frame I would like, not waiting for months to see anything. I always felt like I did more in under 20 min with Crossfit  than most do in their whole workout and after watching others at the normal “globo” gym, I think that’s pretty accurate.

No comments:

Post a Comment