Wednesday, September 7, 2016

The Thigh Gap Myth and other stories

We often see photos of girls with a gap between their thighs. They even make thigh gap jewelry?! WTF is that!? Anyway I was excited because while I was admiring my legs the other day (I do this often as I really like the way they are looking!) and noticed I have less fat on my upper thighs where they rub. Then I realized I'm so close to getting rid of the extra jiggle where the thigh gap should be and maybe, just MAYBE, I might end up with a gap between my thighs. You can only imagine my excitement. This is a big deal! I don't know if I ever had a gap between my thighs except when I stand with my feet apart.

So the beginning of September started and I got to fill out my measurement page in my food/workout journal. It has mostly just been a workout log book but hey, it is something. So I am pumped to take my measurements and compare them to before! I'm fitting the waist of my pants better (thighs not so much as the quads are getting pretty ripped) and feel better and I'm so excited to see what changes are happening with the numbers.

First, the scale. I've lost some pounds and am excited to officially record my losses. I'm down 6.2 lbs! Woot! These inches must be good with a loss like that and the progress I'm seeing. Next the chest relaxed and expanded. I measure through my arm pits and above my breast. My hope is to monitor the side boob and my pecks. Turns out... both measurements have no change.
Waist (smallest part), no change. Not sure how I'm fitting pants better...
Stomach (belly button), no change.
Hips (across hip bones), down 1.25"!!!! CELEBRATE!
Neck, UP 0.5"... ok, ok... we are building muscle
Shoulders, UP 1"... slow down on the muscle building but I do like the way my deltoids are looking...
Right arm upper relaxed and flexed, no change.
Left arm is down 0.5" relaxed and down 0.75" flexed... I double checked.
Right forearm flexed and relaxed, no change.
Left forearm flexed and relaxed, DOWN 0.25".... thought I was building muscle?
Right thigh, no change
Left thigh, no change
calves, yeah, they haven't changed measurements either...

So now I'm realizing that this thigh gap thing is a myth. At least it is for me. Also apparently all my 6.2 lbs came from my hips and my left forearm.... After taking all the measurements I re-realized something... It isn't about the numbers. It isn't about the pounds I lose or the inches that seem to never change. Instead it is about how you feel. I'm loving working out. I debate about going twice a day. Exercise helps me control food cravings (this past weekend was BAD on food choices) and overall just be better. I can see things changing on my body. More definition is happening in my arms. My thighs are less jiggly at the top. Side boob is getting more firm. The fact that I feel better overall, am convincing myself to wake up early, get up, and work out just because I REALLY want to do that day's workout... THESE are the reasons to be excited. I'm FINALLY understanding how people can workout everyday and enjoy it. I understand why runners can run and keep doing it day after day. It is about how it makes you feel, not always what it does for the numbers.

But also, as a scientist kind of person, it is driving me crazy that the numbers aren't showing the changes I know are happening. Dumb data.

In other news I started a relay team (and am on it) for the Colfax Marathon in Denver. It is in May and a group from school is going to run the relay. Originally I said I wanted the flat 3.? miles to be my part. There is another 3.? mile piece and then some 6.? mile pieces. Now I'm kind of interested in pushing myself to be able to run 6 miles.

First I need to make sure I stay healthy. Kids are dropping like flies at school due to illness. Last Thursday I felt so bad that I convinced myself to eat out and call it a night because cooking wasn't an option. Instead of a burger and fried that originally sounded good and could be purchased from the car window, I decided some good soup would be better. So I picked up some chicken soup from the grocery store that was out of my way. I also took Friday off to let my body recover a little. So glad I did because I felt a bunch better by the end of the day on Friday. By Tuesday I was itching for some exercise though...

No comments:

Post a Comment